Tuesday 10 May 2011

GCSE Art Coursework: Buddhist Symbols


My second coursework topic was Buddhist symbols.
This came from my interest in the Buddhist religion.
I decided to do a modern version of the more traditionl asian Buddhist art.
I put together a composition of Buddhist symbols:
The Three Jewels (bottom right) : represent the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
The Endless knot (top left) is a symbolic knot, of the intertwining of wisdom compassion. It can used to represent the cycle of rebirth.
The Dharma wheel (top right): represents the noble eightfold path. The overall shape of a circle represents perfection of the Dharma teaching. The rim which holds the spokes represents the mindfullness.
Pink lotus (bottom left): It's the lotus of the historical Buddha.

The chinease writing influences the culture of my piece and shows the connection through language, even though our languages are different.

My Coursework piece.


I was quite pleased with my final piece, as I felt id had produced an interesting composition that represented the Buddhist traditional art.

For my prep I looked at different symbols I could use and traditional Buddhist and Indian art like the traditional mandalas to design a composition for my art work, I used the idea of everything being link into a shape.
I used batik for my piece because I felt the symbols on material would best fit the traditional Indian art.

No comments:

Post a Comment